As an academic exercise, I have built Slashem on my SunBlade 100, running Solaris 10 2006/06. Stable releases of Slashem can be fiddly to build – lots of tweaks to configuration files – so I thought that this should be an interesting comparison to Linux, my regular build platform.
Although I have tried two versions of Slashem and different build tools, what I describe here uses only the tools supplied with Solaris, built by a user with default settings (group staff, /bin/sh as shell).
Using the stable version (0.0.7E7F2) required a fair bit of fiddling about, so I was advised to try the development version (0.0.8E0), which built and installed very easily.
This technique is provided for information only – use
at your own risk. Don’t do this on a production server unless you are really sure about your job security…
- Download se008e0.tar.gz from SourceForge.
- The user’s PATH needs to be set to pick up the required build tools:
$ export PATH
- gunzip se008e0.tar.gz
- tar -xvf se008e0.tar
- cd slashem-0.0.8E0
- You will need to set the root PATH as for the normal user:
# export PATH
- make install
It really was that simple. No errors, no changing any files at all, although I didn’t have the user ‘games’ created, so things didn’t get chown’d.
As I run this machine “headless” and am ssh’ing in from Linux boxes, I have found that you need to set TERM in .profile on the Solaris box:
Without this, you may not get colour display.
Running with CCFLAGS=-m64 didn’t make any noticeable difference – this may be the default for the supplied version of gcc, anyway.