This is basically “fine lining pastry” from the Larousse Gastronomique, minus the sugar and with yummy animal fat. Makes enough for two pies.
- 500g flour
- 300g lard
- 1 egg
- Up to 100ml water
Rest pastry for a few hours before use.
- 400g topside of beef, trimmed and diced
- Small punnet of shitake mushrooms, chopped
- Large onion, chopped fine
- 800ml decent beef stock (I make mine from oxtail)
- Few dried porcini mushrooms (cêpes)
- Salt and pepper
Beef, shitake and onion fried in any combination of olive oil and/or butter. Stock and everything else added, reduce until only enough juice remains to keep pie moist.
Make up pie, pour a little truffle oil over mixture before lid is fitted. Bake at 150°Celsius for up to an hour.